Friday, August 6, 2010

LUXEMBOURG YEAH!


July 2010 has been a very interesting month at Monte Azul. We have had our first guests from Luxembourgh. I had heard of Luxembourgh but didn't really know much about it other than it being a small country in central Europe surrounded by Belgium, Germany and France. It was interesting to talk to the couple, Gian Luca and Xenia, and learn about their country. There are only approximately 500,000 citizens in Luxembourgh, far fewer than live in San Francisco, CA (750,000). There are many similarities between our countries: lots of mountains, lots of small country towns, one big city.... The big difference being the weather - tropical climate verses 4 distinct season with snowy winter cold being very dominate. This is great if you like skiing.

For some reason the rarity for me to meet people from such a small country made me realize that this is one of the added benefits of living at Monte Azul and having a boutique hotel. The world comes to my door. I never have to leave home.

It has been joked about a lot that I don't cross the bridge and the Rio Chirripo Pacifico at Monte Azul very often. Perhaps, this is one of the reasons. I have the good fortune to have interesting people from all over the world come visit our hotel. I get to meet these wonderful people and find out about their lives and countries. In return, I get to show them the wonders of the tropical rain forest, my home. I see them have breakfast at Cafe Blue while watching the monkeys, hear about their trips to the thermal baths, the cheese tour, and Cloud Bridge Forest Preserve, see photos of them at our waterfall and all the birds and plants that they took during their daily activities. It also reminds me of how lucky I am to live in such a magical place.

In addition to our guests from Luxembourgh, July included guests from Brazil, Spain, France, Mexico, Panama, Denmark, Switzerland, England, other parts of Costa Rica, Canada, and the USA: San Diego, Houston, Atlanta, Los Angeles, New York, Santa Fe, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Miami and Lewiston, Maine. All of these places are also interesting to learn about especially from an insiders perspective.

I am looking forward to seeing who will arrive next and where they will come from. Who knows, I may never have to leave Monte Azul.

For more information on Luxembourgh, go to :

No comments:

Post a Comment