Monday, August 23, 2010

COOKIE SMILING


Cookie has now been a part of Monte Azul for 4 years. Shortly after I moved to the farm full-time, Cookie came into our lives. I had moved to the farm July 1, 2006 with our dogs Tyler and Shadow. Carlos was still living in Cartago and running the gallery space there during the week and coming down to the farm on weekends.

The third week of July Carlos was at the farm and he need to make a few phone calls. At the time there we no phones in the area and cell phones wouldn’t work in the mountains. To make a call you had to go to the public phone at the local pulperia. On one of these trips, we saw this skinny puppy eating from the garbage in front of the pulperia Soda Cindy. She was small and funny looking. Attached is a photo of her first day at Monte Azul.

Carlos realized that a number that he needed to call was not in the car and that we needed to go back to the farm to get it. During this trip, I got a bag of dog food to take to the puppy. When we returned to the pulperia, the sad puppy was still there so I began my attempt to feed her. She wasn’t scared at all. I guess that hunger overrides fear. When Carlos got off the phone he saw me feeding the dog and said ”put her in the car” This was all I need to hear. She was quickly in the car and on the way to her new home.

Cookie has grown up and is a very happy, silly, lovable dog. She is a little bit crazy but is good natured. She loves to go for walks. It was this week that I was walking the dogs up the hill when I decided to try a short cut straight up the hill through the forest instead of the long loop on the road. The heavy rains had created a new creek down the hillside and I wanted to explore it. The 3 dogs were happy to follow. I had my camera with me and got this photo of Cookie. It is now my favorite photo of her. It shows the excitement and joy that she seems to have in everything that she does.

I am happy that we picked her up that day and hope that she is with us for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment