Thursday, November 10, 2011

KATYDID



The other day when I was walking through Café Blue I spotted what I thought was a small bird on the floor. I went over to investigate and to my surprise it was not a bird but a katydid. This was no ordinary katydid but the largest katydid that I have ever seen. She was approximately 4” long and 1 ½” tall.

She slowing walked across the dining room floor and climbed up one of the dining chairs. When I was taking her photo I watched her watching me. She slowly turned her head to keep an eye on what I was doing as I moved around her. It was easy to see her watching me because she has large yellow eyes.

In Costa Rica, katydids are called Esperanzas which translates to hope. They are considered very good luck. With a katydid this large living at Monte Azul, we should have a lot of good luck coming our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment