Saturday, June 18, 2011

CAN YOU SPOT THE SNAKE?




This week I received a call from our hotel manger Adrian saying that a big snake had been spotted along the road by our groundskeeper Cristobal. All of Monte Azul’s employees know that whenever an animal is spotted that I want to see it, if possible. Our property is full of animals but it usually takes a trained eye and being in the right place at the right time to see them. That and sitting still and patiently waiting for things to walk by.

After receiving this call, I immediately ran down to the area where this snake was spotted. When I got there, Carlos, Melissa, Alvaro and 2 visiting artists, Karla Solano and Luis Diego Ramos, were already on the scene. Everyone was looking up. I looked up and couldn’t see anything. I was expecting a “big” snake. After having everyone give me instructions on where to look, I finally spotted the snake. It was a the very top of the tree, long and thin like a tree branch. It didn’t help that I was looking up into the sun but after a few moments I located it.

I had brought my camera and started taking a few photos. I did not hold out much hope of getting a good shot but thought that I would give it a try any way. I was really surprised that some of them turned out. Here are a few of the photos I took. In the first one, can you tell which part is a branch and which part is the snake? I still don’t see how Cristobal was able to spot this snake, especially since he was in his car driving down the road when he saw it. I guess it just takes experience and living here your entire life. Maybe one day I will be able spot forest creatures this easily and call others to come look.

No comments:

Post a Comment