Friday, September 30, 2011

THE NEWEST ARRIVAL AT MONTE AZUL


Last week when our construction crew arrived at work, they told me that they have a surprise. They handed me a bag and told me to be careful. I assumed that they wouldn’t really give me anything “that” dangerous but you never know what other people perceive as dangerous. I willingly took the bag and looked inside. Inside the bag was a turtle.

On their way to work through Chimirol they had spotted a turtle in the middle of the road. This is the main road that runs up the Chirripo Valley. The road is very curvy and can be quite dangerous to an unsuspecting and slow moving turtle. The workers, Cristian and Gerardo, stopped and picked up him. They thought that Monte Azul would be a much friendlier place to reside than along the busy road so they found a travelling bag and put him in the car for his short journey to his new home.

When the turtle was taken out of the bag he was quite feisty. He has a very formidable front tooth that could easily do damage to a finger. He was approximately 8” long from the front to the back of his shell. We set him down on the ground, took a few photos to commemorate his arrival and then watched as he headed towards the creek at the bottom of the hill. He could move quite fast. I hope to see him again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment