Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Paper or Plastic? How About Neither



Living in a country that prides itself on being eco-friendly, it is nice to see that a long standing non-green tradition in Costa Rica has begun to change. Historically, Costa Rica never had the decades of paper bags and then the option of paper or plastic when shopping. Pre mid-1980s, shoppers usually brought their own bags or the items purchased were wrapped in paper at your local pulperia to take home. Then, came the advent of the ubiquitous plastic bag.

Like the rest of the world, Costa Ricans quickly embraced this inexpensive plastic option. Soon everything was put into plastic bags: groceries, a bag of nails at the hardware store, laundry, a gallon of paint (paint cans in Costa Rica do not include handles for some unknown reason) a single can of soda, take-out food, etc. Costa Ricans instantly learned to put things in bags and tie them up. Buy a can of Coke at a pulperia and they put it in a small plastic bag, securely tied, with a straw in it.

Data released by the United States Environmental Protection Agency in 2001 on U.S. plastic bag, sack, and wrap consumption, estimated somewhere between 500 billion and a trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide each year (an impossible number to visualize).

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/09/0902_030902_plasticbags.html


One unique thing about the use of these plastic bags is what I call the Coast Rican Knot. This is one of those knots that I have never seen or experienced anywhere else but here. This “knotting” was one of those things that you didn’t think about until it was done. I kept telling myself that I would remember to ask the clerk not to tie the bags but it was always too late by the time I thought of it. I was usually in the car or at home facing the insidious knots. You are probably thinking “what is the big deal, just untie it”. I cannot tell you how many times that I struggled to get these knots untied. It is not your typical knot but some secret Costa Rican knot passed down through the generations. Is it one of those things learned from childhood? Does being able to untie one of these knots as an adult prove that you are really Costa Rican? Are all extranjeros (foreigners) doomed to rip the bags to shreds or cut the knots out in order to open these bags?

I cursed these knots constantly. It was a real challenge trying to get one of these knots undone when the bag contains very hot roasted chicken or a bag of nuts. You couldn’t simply tear the bag open without the contents spilling out. I would be fighting with a knot when Carlos, my Costa Rican partner, would walk up and undo the knot with ease. He would give me that smirky smile and say that I must have loosened it for him. He knew that I would never be able to master these knots. The secret to these knots is still safely hidden within his brain and fingers and he has yet to reveal this Costa Rican secret.

But I digress. My solution to this dilemma of the Costa Rican Knot and the use of plastic bags has been to take my own cloth bags whenever I shop. Not only does this solve the “unknotting” issue but it is much more eco-friendly. No more plastic bags for me or Monte Azul.

I am happy to see that so many other people here are rejecting these plastic bags as well and embracing a greener option. The last time I took the bus from San Isidro to San Jose I witnessed a dialog between a passenger and store clerk that is becoming more and more common place. At the midway point of the trip the bus makes a pit stop and everyone gets off and buys a snack. The woman in line in front of me bought a soda and 2 bags of chips, The clerk proceeded to put the soda in one plastic bag and the chips in the other. She quickly stopped him, politely admonished him for being wasteful, smiled and carried her purchases away without a bag.

As time goes by, I see this scene being played out more often and see more and more people bringing their own reusable bags with them. Once again, Costa Ricans are embracing the protection of the naturaleza one reusable bag at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment