Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Henry Jackson Exhibition


MACA featured an exhibition of Henry Jackson´s exquisite new works from his Residency at Monte Azul earlier this year. Offering new, pivotal pieces without straying from his particular technique, Jackson nonetheless offered collectors and others who know his work, a new direction. The artist attributes this fresh direction directly to his experience at Monte Azul. In his own words: I found myself lost in shapes and colors that constantly yielded new thoughts and ideas. These are truly spiritual grounds for creativity and new awakenings. To say that I felt spoiled would be an understatement.


As an artist, I look for things and places that bring me inward in thought and feeling. My experiences at Monte Azul with both plants and animals, gave me a deeper understanding and appreciation for my own exploration into the figure and newly found abstraction.

Typically, I don't approach landscape "literally" in my work, but while at Monte Azul, I couldn't help but want to open up the possibility of utilizing all that was before me. Much of it got lost in my senses, rather than wanting to capture and depict such wildlife, I found myself dwarfed in it's enormity. I simply just stood back and took in, or better yet, became one with it. Such an experience stays with one's self long after leaving Monte Azul.


My work has always been based in memory, resulting in a natural intuitive response. The memories I have collected of Monte Azul will yield me quite a bit of work for some time, and I feel fortunate because of it.

To me, Monte Azul represents the beginning of creation - the cultivating of things - both newness and renewal. It is what making art is all about.


The works are currently available for viewing in San Francisco, please contact us at info@monteazulcr.com or by calling 646 478 7038.




No comments:

Post a Comment